Senior Back End Software Engineer
About the job
Mongoose is looking for a Senior Back End Software Engineer to join the team, reporting to our Engineering Manager.
Our engineers work closely with our product and design teams to plan and build our industry-leading, higher-ed engagement platform, Cadence. Our team is small but mighty and is looking for an experienced back-end developer to help move us forward.
In this role, you’ll help build out and support the back-end systems that process millions of text messages each month, helping hundreds of institutions across higher ed converse with their students, applicants, and alumni.
The ideal candidate will be able to tackle a variety of product-focused efforts that will include work in APIs, data/message processing pipelines, databases (relational, document, key-value), and supporting our cloud-native infrastructure.
Our technology stack is largely Microsoft-oriented and utilizes many Azure PaaS elements, but we incorporate whatever tool/platform is appropriate for the needs of our products – including services both in AWS & Google Cloud, Elasticsearch, and Redis.
As a member of a small team, you are guaranteed to make an impact almost immediately. Our goal is to have you shipping code the first week, with all the support you’ll need. You’ll need to be both open-minded and willing to share your opinions. As a senior engineer, we’ll expect you to make an impact quickly, bring your existing experience, help mentor others, and move the team forward.
- At least four years of experience developing and supporting a non-trivial, client-facing .NET/C#-based application in production.
- An understanding of web applications, API & service design, and asynchronous and event-based messaging patterns.
- An understanding of general cloud design concepts, with experience in at least one of the major cloud providers (Azure, AWS, Google) as it pertains to architectural patterns, security, performance, and resiliency
- An interest in DevOps and a sense of ownership in not just developing the code, but also the operations concerns of monitoring performance, scalability & capacity planning, and quickly addressing incidents when they arise. You’re excited and motivated by the responsibility of owning your code in production
- A collaborative working style that includes the rest of your team in important decisions and leads to shared understanding and ownership
- A focus on reducing complex problems into a set of simple solutions. We value a pragmatic approach in deciding what kind of technology and process we will apply in a given situation. We’re more interested in providing value to our customers quickly than utilizing the new shiny thing with a display of technical prowess.
- A desire to improve software over time, being transparent with failures and lessons learned, and an ability to look forward to improvement and not dwell on mistakes
Who we are
Mongoose is on a mission to make every message count. We believe that having the right communications between the right people at the right time helps students, employees and alumni reach their goals and aspirations. Colleges and universities enjoy a 98% retention rate for students who opt into texting with Mongoose Cadence, the industry’s first and only solution built by Higher Ed professionals for Higher Ed leaders. From text-to-chat, Cadence engagement solutions enable more than 725 colleges to advance and inspire students’ success by increasing enrollment, engagement, retention, and alumni gifts.
We offer a flexible work environment that allows for both hybrid and fully remote opportunities.
Our headquarters is located in Buffalo, NY, but we have teammates all across the country!
Mongoose is an equal-opportunity employer that is united by our values and celebrates our unique differences. We’re building a company that’s focused not just on the bottom line but also on the happiness of our customers and team.
Our values define us.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Include notes about
projects, links to repos, or whatever work you’re proud of.
EEO Employer – Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.